Loading...
 
Features / Usability

Features / Usability


How can I present content templates upon page creation?

posts: 181

Hi,

When setting up a brand new Wiki, I try make as many things as possible in the same way I did my older Wikis, some of them dating way back before Tiki 4...

I have created a content template, which I want my users to use. The right to view, use and edit (and lock) templates is granted to all registered users.

But unfortunately, the template only shows inside the Wiki page menu on the left. My older Wikis do present content templates to users at the moment they create a new page, which in my opinion is the intuitive "native" way to use a content template...

Why are they hidden in the menu? Or is there a config switch that I did not recognize that whould change this behaviour?

Thanks for your support
Hman

posts: 2422 Czech Republic

Picture(s)? (I don't understand where to look at...)
Thanks,
luci

hman wrote:

Hi,

When setting up a brand new Wiki, I try make as many things as possible in the same way I did my older Wikis, some of them dating way back before Tiki 4...

I have created a content template, which I want my users to use. The right to view, use and edit (and lock) templates is granted to all registered users.

But unfortunately, the template only shows inside the Wiki page menu on the left. My older Wikis do present content templates to users at the moment they create a new page, which in my opinion is the intuitive "native" way to use a content template...

Why are they hidden in the menu? Or is there a config switch that I did not recognize that whould change this behaviour?

Thanks for your support
Hman

posts: 181
luciash d' being 🧙 wrote:

Picture(s)? (I don't understand where to look at...)
Thanks,
luci


I just want to have Tiki present content templates at the moment my users will need them: On the page where a new page will be created. Instead they are hidden in the left bar under "settings". No user will look there. Templates must be present when needed... It should be the user's choice to start a new page with a template or freehand, but templates must be "at hand". Thanks.

posts: 2422 Czech Republic

Ah, I understand now. Previously you said "inside the Wiki page menu", not "Settings". That confused me.

You can see the content templates dropdown selector when creating new page at the Properties tab. If you want them present more visibly to new page creators, you can disable the tabs interface maybe? You can also copy the link leading to Content Teplates in the Settings menu to your own menu if you want to provide it more visibly.

luci

hman wrote:
I just want to have Tiki present content templates at the moment my users will need them: On the page where a new page will be created. Instead they are hidden in the left bar under "settings". No user will look there. Templates must be present when needed... It should be the user's choice to start a new page with a template or freehand, but templates must be "at hand". Thanks.
posts: 181
luciash d' being 🧙 wrote:

Ah, I understand now. Previously you said "inside the Wiki page menu", not "Settings". That confused me.

You can see the content templates dropdown selector when creating new page at the Properties tab. If you want them present more visibly to new page creators, you can disable the tabs interface maybe? You can also copy the link leading to Content Teplates in the Settings menu to your own menu if you want to provide it more visibly.

luci


No, there is no templates dropdown selector. When a user clicks on Wiki page/Create a new page, only a text input field comes up, asking for the name of the new page. After that is entered, a dropdown list comes up asking which language to assign.

Content templates are ONLY visible in Settings/Content templates, which opens the admin page for templates. There is no dropdown list. At least not on my Installation of 18.3. Since I do not assume that this is a bug no one besides me has noticed, I suspect there is config setting that blocks such a dropdownlist.

On my old Altair Wiki (that still runs), there was indeed a dropdown list, right on the page creation page.

posts: 126749 United Kingdom
hman wrote:
No, there is no templates dropdown selector.


It used to be on the toolbar but seems to have got broken and now isn't appearing, i'll see if i can find it...

posts: 126749 United Kingdom
Jonny Bradley wrote:
It used to be on the toolbar but seems to have got broken and now isn't appearing, i'll see if i can find it...


It used to be on the toolbar for WYSIWYG but that seems to have stopped working, but it is on the properties tab when editing a wiki page - a bit odd, i agree, would be better on the choose language page, but at least it is available.

HTH


posts: 4 Germany

Hi.

Has the problem been resolved?
When a user creates a wiki page, the user should see a pre-selected content template.
It would be ideal to define input fields.
Like this plugin for DokuWiki: https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:bureaucracy