- Both are full-featured free and open source web applications with which you can realize a very diverse variety of projects.
- Both are written in PHP and use a database such as MySQL
- Both can run on standard, inexpensive hosting.
- Both have large & vibrant communities
- Both use the Smarty template engine.
- Tiki is more centralized. Tiki is the all-in-one model while Xoops (like Joomla!) is the small-core-and-add-what-you-need model. Each model has its pros & cons.
- Tiki is Wiki-centric. Please see (if) Why Wiki Syntax Is Important to your project.
- Xoops is GPL, Tiki is LGPL. The main difference between the GPL and the LGPL is that the latter can be linked to (in the case of a library, 'used by') a non-(L)GPLed program, which may be free software or proprietary software.
Compare them at http://cmsmatrix.org
- How CMS architecture affects dev communities - A case study of WordPress, Drupal, Tiki Wiki and XOOPS