Loading...
 
Features / Usability

Features / Usability


How can I present content templates upon page creation?

posts: 159

Hi,

When setting up a brand new Wiki, I try make as many things as possible in the same way I did my older Wikis, some of them dating way back before Tiki 4...

I have created a content template, which I want my users to use. The right to view, use and edit (and lock) templates is granted to all registered users.

But unfortunately, the template only shows inside the Wiki page menu on the left. My older Wikis do present content templates to users at the moment they create a new page, which in my opinion is the intuitive "native" way to use a content template...

Why are they hidden in the menu? Or is there a config switch that I did not recognize that whould change this behaviour?

Thanks for your support
Hman

posts: 2262 Czech Republic

Picture(s)? (I don't understand where to look at...)
Thanks,
luci

hman wrote:

Hi,

When setting up a brand new Wiki, I try make as many things as possible in the same way I did my older Wikis, some of them dating way back before Tiki 4...

I have created a content template, which I want my users to use. The right to view, use and edit (and lock) templates is granted to all registered users.

But unfortunately, the template only shows inside the Wiki page menu on the left. My older Wikis do present content templates to users at the moment they create a new page, which in my opinion is the intuitive "native" way to use a content template...

Why are they hidden in the menu? Or is there a config switch that I did not recognize that whould change this behaviour?

Thanks for your support
Hman

posts: 159
luciash d' being 🧙‍♂️ wrote:

Picture(s)? (I don't understand where to look at...)
Thanks,
luci


I just want to have Tiki present content templates at the moment my users will need them: On the page where a new page will be created. Instead they are hidden in the left bar under "settings". No user will look there. Templates must be present when needed... It should be the user's choice to start a new page with a template or freehand, but templates must be "at hand". Thanks.

posts: 2262 Czech Republic

Ah, I understand now. Previously you said "inside the Wiki page menu", not "Settings". That confused me.

You can see the content templates dropdown selector when creating new page at the Properties tab. If you want them present more visibly to new page creators, you can disable the tabs interface maybe? You can also copy the link leading to Content Teplates in the Settings menu to your own menu if you want to provide it more visibly.

luci

hman wrote:
I just want to have Tiki present content templates at the moment my users will need them: On the page where a new page will be created. Instead they are hidden in the left bar under "settings". No user will look there. Templates must be present when needed... It should be the user's choice to start a new page with a template or freehand, but templates must be "at hand". Thanks.
posts: 159
luciash d' being 🧙‍♂️ wrote:

Ah, I understand now. Previously you said "inside the Wiki page menu", not "Settings". That confused me.

You can see the content templates dropdown selector when creating new page at the Properties tab. If you want them present more visibly to new page creators, you can disable the tabs interface maybe? You can also copy the link leading to Content Teplates in the Settings menu to your own menu if you want to provide it more visibly.

luci


No, there is no templates dropdown selector. When a user clicks on Wiki page/Create a new page, only a text input field comes up, asking for the name of the new page. After that is entered, a dropdown list comes up asking which language to assign.

Content templates are ONLY visible in Settings/Content templates, which opens the admin page for templates. There is no dropdown list. At least not on my Installation of 18.3. Since I do not assume that this is a bug no one besides me has noticed, I suspect there is config setting that blocks such a dropdownlist.

On my old Altair Wiki (that still runs), there was indeed a dropdown list, right on the page creation page.


Upcoming Events

No records to display

Why Register?

Register at tiki.org and you'll be able to use the account at any *.tiki.org site, thanks to the InterTiki feature. A valid email address is required to receive site notifications and occasional newsletters. You can opt out of these items at any time.