Loading...
 

Tikiwiki-devel (mailman list mirror)


What is the addtogooglecal option for?

Hi Torsten,

Thank you for the full historical status.

I figured out my mistake of last week: I did check “Show “Add to Google
Calendar” icon”, and it did complain that I had not activated “Plugin Add
to Google Calendar”.
But I thought I could ignore it because there is no “Add to Google
Calendar” icon. Just the “Add Event”. That might be because I don’t have a
Google Calendar…

This might require more experimenting. Maybe all is as it should be.

Cheers,
J-M

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Torsten <torsten@tiki.org> wrote:

> Hello Jean-Marc,
>
> I did consider this feature years ago as a temporary workaround until we
> get CalDAV sync to Tiki, but did stop using it ... I remember about the
> following procedure / setup:
>
>
> - You need a Google Calender.
>
> - You need to be logged in to the Google Calender.
>
> - You click on the Button “add to google calendar” of which I do not
> know if it is still existing in post-12 Tikis
>
> - The button contains a link that sends the event to your Google
> Calendar as some mixture of a HTL and a iCal part (not really sure):
>
> The problem I did not managed to solve was the parsing of the calendars
> content in the Google Calendar ... at some place calendar events have been
> displayed either as plain WIki Syntax or as plain HTML instead of parsed
> WYSIWYG text.
>
> Not even sure if I any used WYSIWYG - likely tried.
>
> Anyway I think this is the wrong way around:
>
> Tiki should be fully reliable act as WebClient for arbitrary (at least for
> a set of specific) CalDAV servers.
>
> Google has not any a usable Client capability and refuses to implement,
> cause this would let them lose their market-dominating position.
>
> Tiki as a Client instead would open up to use Tiki Clients with more or
> less arbitrary tools, users use anyway in their collaborative projects or
> companies whilst lacking a comprehensive WebClient, which for example can
> independently publish (to the public!) or limit the various group calendars
> based on Tikis own user permission settings.
>
> The most important Servers Tiki should be capable to work with are the
> main SabreDav based servers like SabreDav itselb, OwnCloud, Nextcloud,
> Baikal, then maybe Radicale and definitely Google.
>
> This way it would be even possible for project administrators to soothly
> guide Google users to FOSS software.
>
> Tiki should do what it has to do and concentrate on the essentials.
>
> I do see no need for a Tiki server trying to push data to Google, but I
> see the essential need for Tiki to fetch from respectively sync data from
> and to Servers.
>
> This way it would be very simple to even sync calendars between several
> Tikis, even Tikis of independant organisations and share the same data
> synced.
>
> This way I even could provide a calendar service with a Tiki frontend,
> where I manage calendars of various Teams and infrastructures centrally.
>
> ... more? ...
>
> Best regards,
> Torsten
>
> On 20.03.2017 16:56, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I did some experiment with calendars last week on demo.tiki.org trunk and
> it did not go smootly.
>
>
>
> * I created a calendar on demo-trunk
> * When I attempted to create a new event, I got an error:
> Plugin disabled
> Plugin addtogooglecal cannot be executed.
> Plugin Add to Google Calendar
>
> Problems:
> * I was not attempting to do anything related to Google calendars :-( This
> is confusing
> * I do not seem to be able to enter an event if I ignore this message.
> * Clicking on the links for enabling the plugin failed as most of these
> link do since the XSS “ignore GET params” security fix, so I had a hard
> time fidning it (I can’t find it on https://demo.tiki.org/trunk/
> tiki-admin.php?page=textarea#contentadmin_textarea-2 , the options search
> did not show it).
>
> Finally I found it in Settings → Calendar. But why is it required? If
> nothing works without it, why is it an option? What is the relationship
> with Google?
>
> I’m all puzzled :-(
>
> Cheers,
> J-M
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world’s most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>
>
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing listTikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world’s most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel

posts: 1900

BTW it worked for me last week I added the Monthly Roundtable Meeting
calendar event created by Bernard to my Google calendar on tiki.org

luci


On 03/20/2017 11:39 PM, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
> Hi Torsten,
>
> Thank you for the full historical status.
>
> I figured out my mistake of last week: I did check “Show “Add to
> Google Calendar” icon”, and it did complain that I had not activated
> “Plugin Add to Google Calendar”.
> But I thought I could ignore it because there is no “Add to Google
> Calendar” icon. Just the “Add Event”. That might be because I don’t
> have a Google Calendar…
>
> This might require more experimenting. Maybe all is as it should be.
>
> Cheers,
> J-M
>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Torsten <torsten@tiki.org
> <mailto:torsten@tiki.org>> wrote:
>
> Hello Jean-Marc,
>
> I did consider this feature years ago as a temporary workaround
> until we get CalDAV sync to Tiki, but did stop using it ... I
> remember about the following procedure / setup:
>
> * You need a Google Calender.
>
> * You need to be logged in to the Google Calender.
>
> * You click on the Button “add to google calendar” of which I do
> not know if it is still existing in post-12 Tikis
>
> * The button contains a link that sends the event to your Google
> Calendar as some mixture of a HTL and a iCal part (not really
> sure):
>
> The problem I did not managed to solve was the parsing of the
> calendars content in the Google Calendar ... at some place
> calendar events have been displayed either as plain WIki Syntax or
> as plain HTML instead of parsed WYSIWYG text.
>
> Not even sure if I any used WYSIWYG - likely tried.
>
> Anyway I think this is the wrong way around:
>
> Tiki should be fully reliable act as WebClient for arbitrary (at
> least for a set of specific) CalDAV servers.
>
> Google has not any a usable Client capability and refuses to
> implement, cause this would let them lose their market-dominating
> position.
>
> Tiki as a Client instead would open up to use Tiki Clients with
> more or less arbitrary tools, users use anyway in their
> collaborative projects or companies whilst lacking a comprehensive
> WebClient, which for example can independently publish (to the
> public!) or limit the various group calendars based on Tikis own
> user permission settings.
>
> The most important Servers Tiki should be capable to work with are
> the main SabreDav based servers like SabreDav itselb, OwnCloud,
> Nextcloud, Baikal, then maybe Radicale and definitely Google.
>
> This way it would be even possible for project administrators to
> soothly guide Google users to FOSS software.
>
> Tiki should do what it has to do and concentrate on the essentials.
>
> I do see no need for a Tiki server trying to push data to Google,
> but I see the essential need for Tiki to fetch from respectively
> sync data from and to Servers.
>
> This way it would be very simple to even sync calendars between
> several Tikis, even Tikis of independant organisations and share
> the same data synced.
>
> This way I even could provide a calendar service with a Tiki
> frontend, where I manage calendars of various Teams and
> infrastructures centrally.
>
> ... more? ...
>
> Best regards,
> Torsten
>
>
> On 20.03.2017 16:56, Jean-Marc Libs wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I did some experiment with calendars last week on demo.tiki.org
>> <http://demo.tiki.org> trunk and it did not go smootly.
>>
>>
>>
>> * I created a calendar on demo-trunk
>> * When I attempted to create a new event, I got an error:
>> Plugin disabled
>> Plugin addtogooglecal cannot be executed.
>> Plugin Add to Google Calendar
>>
>> Problems:
>> * I was not attempting to do anything related to Google calendars
>> :-( This is confusing
>> * I do not seem to be able to enter an event if I ignore this
>> message.
>> * Clicking on the links for enabling the plugin failed as most of
>> these link do since the XSS “ignore GET params” security fix, so
>> I had a hard time fidning it (I can’t find it on
>> https://demo.tiki.org/trunk/tiki-admin.php?page=textarea#contentadmin_textarea-2
>> <https://demo.tiki.org/trunk/tiki-admin.php?page=textarea#contentadmin_textarea-2>
>> , the options search did not show it).
>>
>> Finally I found it in Settings → Calendar. But why is it
>> required? If nothing works without it, why is it an option? What
>> is the relationship with Google?
>>
>> I’m all puzzled :-(
>>
>> Cheers,
>> J-M
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world’s most
>> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org!http://sdm.link/slashdot
>>
>> ___
>> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
>> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
>> <mailto:TikiWiki-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>> <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world’s most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> ___ TikiWiki-devel
> mailing list TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> <mailto:TikiWiki-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
> <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world’s most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel


Why Register?

Register at tiki.org and you'll be able to use the account at any *.tiki.org site, thanks to the InterTiki feature. A valid email address is required to receive site notifications and occasional newsletters. You can opt out of these items at any time.