Loading...
 

Tikiwiki-devel (mailman list mirror)


Favicons folder by default

posts: 228

Sounds like we need a sample theme with all possible folders and a few
READMEs as a starter?




On Thursday, October 11, 2018, Brendan Ferguson <drsassafras@gmail.com>
wrote:

>
>
> Brendan
>
>
>
> On Oct 11, 2018, at 10:35 AM, Torsten Fabricius <torsten@tiki.org> wrote:
>
> +1 to create this (empty) folder by default!
>
> + 1 what he said
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> On 10/11/2018 04:21 PM, Bsfez Tiki wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> …
> I agree with you Torsten that the actual setup is great but this is a kind
> of another discussion.
> If someone want to talk about this please open a create a thread.
>
>
> I don't suggest changing anything about the setup or the way Tiki work.
> Actually we have a feature that work using "themes/themeName/favicons"
>
> Unlike the folder fonts or icons this folder has to be created manually.
>
> My proposal is to create this with an index.php file by default.
> Used or not it won't change the existing just avoiding an exception.
>
> Bernard
>
> On 11 Oct 2018, at 16:23 , Torsten Fabricius <torsten@tiki.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Bernard, Gary, Brendan (and all),
>
> I am not sure, if I find it makes sense to have a themes folder, but to
> put custom themes to another folder _custom.
>
> For years we had to spread themes related files to various places and to
> now have it at one place is just awesome.
>
> For a new theme designer we need only to tell:
>
> "go to the tikiroot to the folder themes, create or copy a theme
> 'themes/mythemename', put themespecific css to the css subfolder, js to the
> js subfolder, templates to the templates subfolder" etcetera.
>
> From my point of view the current setup is awesome and self-explaining to
> a high extent. We should not lose that simple logic.
>
> on the other hand I find it a good plan to collect all non-theme-specific
> custom files in a central folder custom or _custom.
>
> My 2 cent.
>
> Torsten
>
>
>
> On 10/11/2018 03:04 PM, Bsfez Tiki wrote:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> I understand that in this scenario, custom themes, fonts, etc. wouldn't be
> put in the themes directory any more; they'd go to _custom. See
> https://dev.tiki.org/File%20and%20directory%20structure%20revamp . I
> don't know what the timeline for this revamp is.
>
>
> I understand the same… if no changes.
>
>
> In the meantime (not defined as you mentioned) we have an already working
> feature using that pattern.
>
> So I think it would be good to handle favicons like icons or custom CSS
> and either put them in one location so they're used no matter what theme is
> used, or put them in a theme's directory so they're used only with that
> theme. Maybe that's how they work now but I haven't tested it.
>
>
> Yes it is already working that way. (and that's why I started this)
> The folder just doesn't exist. The admin has to create it and most of the
> time he will omit our "index.php" file that prevent misuse.
>
> About your original question, it doesn't seem to me that there's
> necessarily a relationship between favicons and themes except that they can
> be user-uploaded. At tiki.org for example, several themes are used but
> only one favicon (or one set of favicons) is used. The favicon doesn't
> change as the theme changes, although this could be the case.
>
>
> Herr…. I don't think that tiki.org is a good example for the common usage
> of a Tiki. :-)
>
> This said, Brendan did a good job meaning that you can still use a single
> favicon for several themes (t.o case)
> Having a favicons folder won't change anything as long as you don't put
> something in it (and the feature is activated).
>
> https://doc.tiki.org/Favicon
>
>
> … I have the feeling that I'm making noise by explaining how work an
> existing feature that most don't know or use (yet).
> May be you better test (and enjoy) ?
>
> Bernard
>
>
>
>
>
> On 11 Oct 2018, at 14:37 , Gary Cunningham-Lee <gary_c@cunningham-lee.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As I understand it, the purpose of the _custom directory is just as you
> say, to avoid spreading website content over several directories. So
> instead of mixing Tiki package files and uploaded files such as in the
> themes directory, everything uploaded for a site would go in the _custom
> directory. Then just one directory needs to be archived or copied and it
> only contains custom content, not a mix of custom and package files. I
> understand that in this scenario, custom themes, fonts, etc. wouldn't be
> put in the themes directory any more; they'd go to _custom. See
> https://dev.tiki.org/File%20and%20directory%20structure%20revamp . I
> don't know what the timeline for this revamp is.
>
> About your original question, it doesn't seem to me that there's
> necessarily a relationship between favicons and themes except that they can
> be user-uploaded. At tiki.org for example, several themes are used but
> only one favicon (or one set of favicons) is used. The favicon doesn't
> change as the theme changes, although this could be the case. So I think it
> would be good to handle favicons like icons or custom CSS and either put
> them in one location so they're used no matter what theme is used, or put
> them in a theme's directory so they're used only with that theme. Maybe
> that's how they work now but I haven't tested it.
>
> — Gary
>
>
>
> This was discussed at TikiFest Japan in October 2017
>
> On 10/11/2018 6:57 PM, Bsfez Tiki wrote:
>
> Thanks Gary for your comment.
> (_custom directory https://doc.tiki.org/Path-structure)
> Short answer:
> The actual "Favicons" feature work that way and is using
> themes/themeName/favicons.
> I'm not suggesting any change of the existing way things work.
> I propose we avoid an extra step (creating the folder) by having one ready
> to be used (like we have fonts, icons, images, etc).
> Deeper:
>
> As far as putting it in themes/themeName, favicons aren't particularly
> related to themes, are they?
>
> I think favicons and themes are related from the user / customer point of
> view.
> It will be for the same reason and generally by the same person (graphic)
> that both, themes and favicons will be created, added or modified.
> If we can have fonts and icons there is no reason favicons would go
> somewhere else.
> Practically, I don't see any interest we would have to make website
> designers to use several folders spreads over a Tiki.
> I see very convenient to give ftp access to a single folder (the theme
> folder) to a external people or team (designers).
> Bernard
>
> On 11 Oct 2018, at 12:06 , Gary Cunningham-Lee <gary_c@cunningham-lee.com
> <mailto:gary_c@cunningham-lee.com <gary_c@cunningham-lee.com>>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The _custom directory was added to contain user content like favicons and
> even themes, I think. The idea is to have everything that's added for a
> Tiki instance all in one directory for easy portability, etc. I haven't
> heard much about this lately, though.
>
> As far as putting it in themes/themeName, favicons aren't particularly
> related to themes, are they? Or are you also thinking in terms of custom
> stuff being in one place?
>
> — Gary
>
>
> On 10/11/2018 3:18 PM, Bsfez Tiki wrote:
>
> Hello,
> We have in Tiki since Tiki17 a Favicons preference / feature to ease the
> use and set favicons for the different device that reads it.
> Beside doing what it says, It helps to have all the extra files and
> customisation enclosed inside the theme folder.
> I think it would good to promote it (having more visible).
> As we have : themes/themeName/fonts
> I think it would be ok to have : themes/themeName/favicons
> Good timing to add it for Tiki19 ?
> Bernard
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net <mailto:TikiWiki-devel@lists.
> sourceforge.net <TikiWiki-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>>
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
>
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net <mailto:TikiWiki-devel@lists.
> sourceforge.net <TikiWiki-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>>
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
>
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing listTikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing listTikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.nethttps://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
> ___
> TikiWiki-devel mailing list
> TikiWiki-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
>
>
>

--
Marc Laporte

http://WikiSuite.org
http://PluginProblems.com
http://Avan.Tech

Why Register?

Register at tiki.org and you'll be able to use the account at any *.tiki.org site, thanks to the InterTiki feature. A valid email address is required to receive site notifications and occasional newsletters. You can opt out of these items at any time.