Loading...
 
Features / Usability

Features / Usability


Slash for Page Title

posts: 5

Hello,

I'm new to wikis so please bear with me. I imported all the data from another wiki into TikiWiki. In the old wiki, there are pages with slashes in them (example: thing/thing). In Tikiwiki, my links to these pages with slashes aren't translating properly. I type ((thing/thing)) but it doesn't show up as a link, it literally prints ((thing/thing)). I know the pages still exist because I can reference them by the url (example: http://mywiki.com/tiki-admin.php?page=thing%2fthing, with the %2f being a slash). Is there a way to make a wiki link to pages with slashes in them?

Thank you.

posts: 3652 United States

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to wikis so please bear with me. I imported all the data from another wiki into TikiWiki. In the old wiki, there are pages with slashes in them (example: thing/thing). In Tikiwiki, my links to these pages with slashes aren't translating properly. I type ((thing/thing)) but it doesn't show up as a link, it literally prints ((thing/thing)). I know the pages still exist because I can reference them by the url (example: http://mywiki.com/tiki-admin.php?page=thing%2fthing, with the %2f being a slash). Is there a way to make a wiki link to pages with slashes in them?
>
> Thank you.

Try encodig the link: ((thing%2fthing|thing/thing))

-Rick
Now Available: TikiWiki for Dummies Smarties — A beginner's guide to using ))TikiWiki((.

posts: 5

> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm new to wikis so please bear with me. I imported all the data from another wiki into TikiWiki. In the old wiki, there are pages with slashes in them (example: thing/thing). In Tikiwiki, my links to these pages with slashes aren't translating properly. I type ((thing/thing)) but it doesn't show up as a link, it literally prints ((thing/thing)). I know the pages still exist because I can reference them by the url (example: http://mywiki.com/tiki-admin.php?page=thing%2fthing, with the %2f being a slash). Is there a way to make a wiki link to pages with slashes in them?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Try encodig the link: ((thing%2fthing|thing/thing))
>
> -Rick
> Now Available: TikiWiki for Dummies Smarties — A beginner's guide to using ))TikiWiki((.

I tried that too, it doesn't work either. When I put a / or a %2F it prints out the tag literally instead of making it a link.

posts: 4642 Japan

> I tried that too, it doesn't work either. When I put a / or a %2F it prints out the tag literally instead of making it a link.

It seems the slash stops Tiki from recognizing the page name as a link in wiki-parsed text. I think maybe your only option is to use the external-link syntax ([tiki-index.php?page=thing/thing|thing/thing]), like you mentioned at the beginning. This produces thing/thing OK, but you'd have to decide whether this extra syntax is easier than just renaming the slash-name pages.

(In my test, the slash encoding worked automatically; it wasn't necessary to use the encoding in the wiki text.)

-- Gary

posts: 3652 United States

> >
> > Try encodig the link: ((thing%2fthing|thing/thing))
> >
> > -Rick
> > Now Available: TikiWiki for Dummies Smarties — A beginner's guide to using ))TikiWiki((.
>
> I tried that too, it doesn't work either. When I put a / or a %2F it prints out the tag literally instead of making it a link.

It seems to be working fine here:

thing/thing

What Tiki version are you running? Maybe you need to upgrade?

-Rick
Now Available: TikiWiki for Dummies Smarties — A beginner's guide to using ))TikiWiki((.

posts: 4642 Japan

> It seems to be working fine here:
>
> thing/thing
>
> What Tiki version are you running? Maybe you need to upgrade?

Rick, at Zukakakina.com and in my laptop installation where I tested this, the Tiki version is 1.9.8.1 and that syntax doesn't work, consistent with stuperman4's experience. Here at this site, the version is 1.10CVS, isn't it? I guess that makes the difference.

A 1.10 branch version, which should be stable enough for production sites, is coming soon, for people who want the latest and greatest as soon as possible; you're already using 1.10, aren't you, Rick?

-- Gary [New Mittwoch theme available!]

posts: 3652 United States


>
> Rick, at Zukakakina.com and in my laptop installation where I tested this, the Tiki version is 1.9.8.1 and that syntax doesn't work, consistent with stuperman4's experience. Here at this site, the version is 1.10CVS, isn't it? I guess that makes the difference.
>
> A 1.10 branch version, which should be stable enough for production sites, is coming soon, for people who want the latest and greatest as soon as possible; you're already using 1.10, aren't you, Rick?
>


Good call Gary. It appears that it works in 1.10 but not in 1.9.8. However, using an external link syntax does work in 1.9.8:

[tiki-index.php?page=thing%2thing|thing/thing]

This worked fine for me in some of my 1.9.8 sites.

posts: 5

>
>
> Good call Gary. It appears that it works in 1.10 but not in 1.9.8. However, using an external link syntax does work in 1.9.8:
>
> [tiki-index.php?page=thing%2thing|thing/thing]
>
> This worked fine for me in some of my 1.9.8 sites.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Any idea when exactly 1.10 is coming out? I am wondering if I should wait for the new version or start on the massive project of renaming all the pages.

posts: 4642 Japan

> Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Any idea when exactly 1.10 is coming out? I am wondering if I should wait for the new version or start on the massive project of renaming all the pages.

What I've heard is a couple of weeks to a couple of months. There's really no way to say exactly when as it depends on what's found that needs to be done first and how much time people have.

If you do end up renaming the pages, if you have a lot of them the easiest way would be to dump the tiki_pages (IIRC the name) database table and do a search and replace for the slash character in the page names. Or use phpMyAdmin on the page name column entries. Even if this needed manual attention, it'd probably be faster than via the Tiki interface. As I recall, only this table and maybe a page history table actually store the page names. Other references are by page id number, I believe. You could try the procedure on one test-case page first and see if the page is still found everywhere it's supposed to be.

-- Gary

posts: 5

I'm resurrecting this thread because the issue never got resolved. Renaming the pages isn't an option. Using external link syntax isn't an option.

Just downloaded version 2.0. Problem still occurs (when trying to wiki link a page with / in the title it spits out the line as plain text). It should also be noted that the problem seems to occur with any special characters (\,/,$,#,*,?). I also tried doing test\/test thinking that would escape the slash correctly. It didn't. However, I just tried the demo site and it handles the special characters correctly. Is there some sort of minor code change I can make that the demo site has?

Thank you.

posts: 4642 Japan

When I tested in Tiki2.0, using the double-parentheses wiki link syntax around a page name with a slash in it, the syntax displayed "raw" — with the parentheses showing, etc., rather than making a link. This was the case whether I used an actual slash or if I used encoding for it. My wiki page name setting is "complete." Interestingly, I could create a page with a slash in the name and the name appears correctly in "since last visit," etc. But I had to use the external link syntax to link to the page from within a wiki page.

I also tried putting no-parse tags around the slash in the link, like
((test/slashname))
and it displays ok on the page ( test/slashname ), but the link isn't recognized as the same as the page for some reason.


It's unfortunate that using the external link syntax isn't an option for you. That may be the only way to have wiki links containing slashes with this Tiki version.

-- Gary

posts: 5

Gary,

I had the same result that you did when putting ~np~ tag around the slash. It has the same results when I tried to use another special character like $. My wiki page name setting is also complete.

The funny thing is, this issue isn't present in the demo site. From what I can remember, it wasn't present in the demo site even from a year ago. It handles the special characters just fine. Why is the demo site special?

Is this issue a bug? And if so, would you recommend I post something on the developers forum/mailing list about it?

Thanks.