Loading...
 
Architecture / Installation

Architecture / Installation


3 blank wiki pages (solved)

posts: 30

I have 2 tikis working on different servers, with same configuration, themes, etc, and 3 wikipages that have the same code are not shown in one of them (all the menus, buttons etc are shown normally, but no text). The rest of the pages are shown normally on both servers.

As the problematic pages were quite big (or had big tables), I though it had to be memory related, but

  • On server 1 with tiki 9.0 and php memory_limit = 256M pages are shown normally
  • On server 2 with tiki 9.0 and php memory_limit = 256M pages are NOT shown (I have increased php memory to 516M and updated to 9.1, without results).

The blank page appears immediately (not a timeout related issue?)
Pages can be edited normally (not a Database related issue?)
Pages do not have many images, videos or attached files.
I have changed the server API from CGI/FastCGI to Apache 2.0 Handler (to make both servers equal)

What alse can cause the error?
How can I look for it?
Have you encountered similar situations?

I have compared the results of tiki-check.php and tiki-phpinfo.php for both servers, and look quite similar to me (except for innodb_additional_mem_pool_size and innodb_buffer_pool_size, but I think my problem is not related to the database)
I have activated PHP error messages, but get the same error messages from pages that load normally than on the 3 problematic pages.
I have searched around the forums and documentation, but most of the times blank pages seem to be php memory limit related.

Of course the bad server is the one that has the site that has to go into production!

posts: 249 Germany

Just a shot in the dark:
try to decrease PHP memory_limit to 128M, 64M or 32M. We had a similar case one day ago, and this crazy idea worked.

Check messages in /var/log/apache to get some hints.


posts: 30

thanks fmg,

64M and 128M same result.
32M http error 500

and the error.log only showed
Thu Oct 25 20:36:53 2012 error client xx.xxx.xx.xx PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) in /var/www/clients/client0/web7/web/lib/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatelexer.php on line 484, referer: http://xxxxxxxxx/tiki-index.php

Which seems related to the error 500 when memory was at 32M
The blank pages when memory was at 64M or 128M did not made any log there...

I also noticed that in case I change the "plugin fancytable" for a "plugin html", and write the table as html I can see one of the problematic pages.

Is there a maximum amount of wikiplugins in a wikipage? Or a maximum plugin inside plugin inside pluguin?

posts: 1570 Canada

"Is there a maximum amount of wikiplugins in a wikipage? Or a maximum plugin inside plugin inside plugin? "

There is no pre-determined limit so it's according to server resources. Are you using XCache or APC? If not, I suggest you try.

Also, maybe try PluginInclude to split your content in several pages?

Also, it's not so much the quantity but it could be that certain plugins or syntaxes are making the system choke. So trial and error of different parts of the page can maybe reveal some hints.

If you can reproduce on demo.tiki.org, community developers can take a look.

Best regards,

M ;-)

posts: 30

Thanks Marc,

Now I am using APC, the site feels faster, but pages are still blank (I have tried different apc.shm_size values).

I have included the pages code at demo.tiki.org and they work nicely, for example:


About the PluginInclude strategy I had already tried that without success. I also cut the page in 2 parts, and each half showed fine, but not the whole text. I wanted to make sure there was not a sinlge syntax that caused the error.

I think I will try a different ISP, just to see if I have better luck...

posts: 30

Finally I can see all the wikipages!

We noticed there was a relation between de PHP version of each server and the errors:

PHP versions that caused errors:

  • 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.9
  • 5.3.3-7+squeeze14
  • 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.18


PHP versions that worked fine:

  • 5.3.13-nmm1 (demo.tiki.org)
  • 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.4


So, we updated PHP to 5.3.18 and everything is fine now.
I guess some of the bugs fixed between PHP 5.3.3 and 5.3.10 was causing the error.

Thanks for your help!