Loading...
 
Features / Usability

Features / Usability


Short page names (simple URLs) in tiki

posts: 10

I've looked all around in the doc and on the forums, and although I can find references that say that "short urls" are a feature of tikiwiki 1.7 and up, I can't for the life of me find any info on how to implement that feature.

What I'm looking for is a way for this:
http://www.playbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Players

to look like this:
http://www.playbywiki.com/Players

or this:
http://www.playbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Games+in+Progress

to look like this:
http://www.playbywiki.com/Games+in+Progress

or this:
http://www.playbywiki.com/Games_in_Progress

or something more easily recognizable outside the wiki.

I've heard this called "short urls," "easy urls," "simple page naming," etc. on other wikis. Can't find out how to do it on tiki.

Any help most appreciated. Thanks mucho.

- A

posts: 10

>
>
> Rewrite Rules
>
>

Thanks. But I think I need a bit more help. I read the doc and renamed the file to .htaccess and still don't really know what to do to make the change happen. Is this something I have to mess with in my host's area? If so, I'm pretty hosed, probably. I use 1-and-1, and while it's a great price and their email help is pretty good on big, chunky stuff... when it comes to really specific techno thingies that don't have to do with software provided by them, I'm pretty much on my own.

posts: 4613 Japan

Normally, just renaming the file to .htaccess enables the short URLs and nothing else is necessary. Anyway, this is how it's working on a couple of different hosted domains that I know of (Hostrocket and Blue Host).

-- Gary - themes.tw.o

posts: 10

> Normally, just renaming the file to .htaccess enables the short URLs and nothing else is necessary. Anyway, this is how it's working on a couple of different hosted domains that I know of (Hostrocket and Blue Host).
>
> — Gary - themes.tw.o

Well, it doesn't seem to really be working in every instance on those domains either. One of the pages on the wiki at that link comes up as:

http://themes.tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=Zuka

Which is what mine basically looks like, and which is what I'm trying to get away from.

posts: 4613 Japan

> >...
> Well, it doesn't seem to really be working in every instance on those domains either. One of the pages on the wiki at that link comes up as:
>
> http://themes.tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=Zuka
>
> Which is what mine basically looks like, and which is what I'm trying to get away from.

Renaming _htaccess to .htaccess, to activate Apache rewrite rules, enables you to use URLs like http://themes.tikiwiki.org/Zuka in place of the longer URLs Tiki normally uses. Tiki still uses those longer URLs internally. But anyplace you make URLs, such as making menus on the Admin Menu page, in links in modules, etc., you can use the short form. Since search engine bots follow and index the URLs as they find them, they'll record the short versions wherever they are used.

I don't think all the URLs written at themes.tw.o used the short form, necessarily; unless it was done intentionally, the long form will show.

-- Gary

posts: 10

> > >...
> > Well, it doesn't seem to really be working in every instance on those domains either. One of the pages on the wiki at that link comes up as:
> >
> > http://themes.tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=Zuka
> >
> > Which is what mine basically looks like, and which is what I'm trying to get away from.
>
> Renaming _htaccess to .htaccess, to activate Apache rewrite rules, enables you to use URLs like http://themes.tikiwiki.org/Zuka in place of the longer URLs Tiki normally uses. Tiki still uses those longer URLs internally. But anyplace you make URLs, such as making menus on the Admin Menu page, in links in modules, etc., you can use the short form. Since search engine bots follow and index the URLs as they find them, they'll record the short versions wherever they are used.
>
> I don't think all the URLs written at themes.tw.o used the short form, necessarily; unless it was done intentionally, the long form will show.
>
> — Gary
>
>

Makes sense. Thanks.

But on my site, after doing the file rename, I still have:

http://www.playbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Groups

And when I type in: www.playbywiki.com/Groups

I get an error. So I think I'm still doing something wrong.


posts: 10

> I've looked all around in the doc and on the forums, and although I can find references that say that "short urls" are a feature of tikiwiki 1.7 and up, I can't for the life of me find any info on how to implement that feature.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way for this:
> http://www.playbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Players
>
> to look like this:
> http://www.playbywiki.com/Players
>
> or this:
> http://www.playbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Games+in+Progress
>
> to look like this:
> http://www.playbywiki.com/Games+in+Progress
>
> or this:
> http://www.playbywiki.com/Games_in_Progress
>
> or something more easily recognizable outside the wiki.
>
> I've heard this called "short urls," "easy urls," "simple page naming," etc. on other wikis. Can't find out how to do it on tiki.
>
> Any help most appreciated. Thanks mucho.
>
> - A